ABOVE: A scene from the movie "National Lampoon's Vacation" with 3M DI-NOC wood grain panels on the Griswold's station wagon.
What are 3M DI-NOC Architectural Finishes?
Remember that wood panel look on the side of cars (usually a station wagon) in the 1950s, 60s, and 70s?
No? Well how about the 80s movie "National Lampoon's Vacation" starring Chevy Chase?
That's right, the Griswolds made their way to Walley World in that tank-like station wagon adorned with 3M DI-NOC vinyl wood-grain side panels.
3M invented DI-NOC in the 1950s to replace real wood panels used in automobiles, thus reducing the weight and cost of manufacturing. Aside from this application, there weren't a lot of other uses for DI-NOC in the early days. In the 1990s 3M in Japan started to make DI-NOC for use as an Architectural Finish product.
This self-adhesive and flexible laminate film is great for resurfacing and refurbishing hard, smooth surfaces. It molds nicely around complex shapes making it ideal for curved and rounded profiles. 3M's expertise in manufacturing vinyl films and adhesives combined with over 1000 designs have brought 3M DI-NOC into the mainstream of design and construction.
ABOVE: 3M DI-NOC Fine Wood pattern applied to an office drywall bulkhead. Where's the "Before" picture? Well, it was installed so quickly and efficiently by our installation team, we got there too late! But we know you know what drywall looks like :)
BELOW: Elevator C cleans up real nice with a 3M DI-NOC Hairline Metal pattern. Downtime and disruption was minimal for the occupants.
What are the advantages of 3M DI-NOC over veneer finishes?
3M DI-NOC Architectural Finishes have a number of key advantages over veneer finishes.
- Over 1000 pattern choices provides unlimited creative flexibility and architectural freedom. Stone, wood, metal, fabric, and the list goes on.
- Clean and quick installation means minimal downtime for your facility.
- Cost savings - preserve rather than replace your existing surfaces and substrates by simply repurposing them.
- Environmentally friendly - repurposing existing surfaces such as cabinets doors saves them from going to the landfill.
- Help acquire LEED credits for your facility by refurbishing permanently installed interior elements or furnishing with low-emitting materials.
BELOW: Before and after photos of a suspended ceiling in a mall entrance. This curved drywall ceiling now looks like a massive slab of wood!
How Durable is 3M DI-NOC?
- 3M DI-NOC finishes are resistant to abrasion, staining, chemicals, and comply with flammability standards for buildings. The warranty is 5-10 years depending on the application.
- 3M DI-NOC is easy to clean with detergent and water and withstands most hospital grade cleaners.
- Repairs are much easier than with wood or veneer and virtually invisible at normal viewing distance.
ABOVE: A close-up of the mall entrance ceiling.
BELOW: View from the floor. The curve adds a really nice design touch.
What Kinds of Surfaces Can I Apply 3M DI-NOC to?
Ideal applications are smooth, hard, flat surfaces. Things like:
Doors, Elevators, Cabinetry, Millwork, Walls, Ceilings, Columns.
Wait, did we forget Billiard Tables?? This was a fun project - the homeowner wanted a white pool table but the cost was prohibitive. They purchased a 'basic' pool table in black. After thumbing through the DI-NOC catalogue, they chose White Leather DI-NOC and now have a unique pool table to match their basement decor for a fraction of the cost of the 'fancier' tables.
BELOW: Views of the pool table before and after. The white leather has a slight texture to it.
BELOW: Our 3M Certified Installation Technician installing the White Leather DI-NOC. No mess, no smell, and a complete transformation in just a few hours.